Faith in Action
Ask yourself this: Why do I serve? After pondering this question for a time, it's not difficult to come up with a list of compassionate reasons and motives for serving. As Christians, we are called to serve out of love for our neighbor, unbound by obligation and freed by what God has already done in Jesus Christ. Service is our response to this Good News. We are invited into the work that God is already doing in the world for the sake of others.
Our hope as a community of faith at Shepherd of the Valley is to be people who express an attitude of service in how we live our day-to-day lives. Service, then, goes far beyond just signing up "to serve." Service is recognizing who is need and extending the love of God through action.
Here are some resources and ideas for serving on your own or as a family:
- Car Care Packages
- Teaching Children to Serve Others (30 Project Ideas)
- 50 Service Projects for the Family
- Kindness Elves
- Martin Luther Campus – 1401 East 100th Street, Bloomington, MN 55425
- A care facility for seniors.
- Reaching Up Ministries
- An organization focused on families in District 196 that provides homework help and minimizes food insecurity.
- Tapestry – 4105 Chicago Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55407
- An outreach to women needing pregnancy and family resources.
- Global Health Ministries – 7831 Hickory Street NE, Minneapolis, MN 55432
- An organization that collects and distributes medical supplies to developing countries.
- The Link – 1210 Glenwood Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55405
- An organization that aims to build supportive communities for youth in transition.
- Children's Minnesota – 345 North Smith Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55102 or 2525 Chicago Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55404
- One of the largest pediatric care facilities in the U.S.
- The Family Partnership – 414 S 8th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55404
- An education, counseling, and advocacy organization geared toward families.
- Second Harvest Heartland – 6325 Sandburg Road Suite 1700, Golden Valley, MN 55427 or 1140 Gervais Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55109
- An organization devoted to solving the problem of hunger.
- Feed My Starving Children – Multiple locations around the Twin Cities (as well as mobile pack options)
- An organization that packs and sends meals formulated for malnourished children around the world.