East Union Lutheran Church (15180 County Road 40 in Carver, Minnesota) is seeking a Parish Administrator.
Position summary: The Parish Administrator will provide secretarial support for the Pastor, Treasurer, Youth and Education Director and Church Council as well as act as receptionist being a central source of knowledge and communications – interacting courteously and professionally with all individuals. The ideal candidate should have excellent writing, editing, interpersonal, computer, and administrative skills. Candidates need to be detail-oriented, flexible, have a collaborative and friendly style, and a capacity to build trusted relationships.
Job type: Part time, approximately 16 hours/week, variable. $15 an hour, based on education and experience. No benefits.
Reports to: Church Council.
Relates to: Pastor, Youth and Education Program Director, Treasurer and members.
Desired qualifications and skills:
- Minimum 2 year administrative education or equivalent secretarial and administrative experience, bachelor's degree preferred.
- Accurate typist with knowledge of modern office procedures and ability to operate standard office equipment including a computer with proficiency in major office software processing, spreadsheets and database management.
- Social media and website experience.
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills.
- Displays initiative and is energetic and self-motivated. Desire to recruit and train volunteers. Practice discipleship.
- Effective and compassionate interpersonal skills.
- Strong listening skills and capacity to receive feedback.
- Creates efficient workflows, prioritizes, and meets goals
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changes. Able to respond to changing needs in schedule.
- Ability to take initiative and make decisions under the constant pressure deadlines.
- Ability to work with parishioners with diverse personalities and differing opinions.
- Be able to interact successfully with people of all ages. Be a guide and promote cross-generational connections.
- Ability to handle sensitive/confidential matters in a professional, tactful and confidential manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain appropriate boundaries.
- Available to work assigned hours.
Primary duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- General office duties - serve as a welcoming and helpful presence for all who contact the church, whether by phone, email, or in person during office hours.
- Maintain regular office hours as dictated by the council serving as the main point of contact for the church.
- Triage social needs and provide resources for members and visitors.
- Respond to phone and email inquiries as required, directing questions as appropriate.
- Open, organize and distribute mail appropriately.
- Communicate with Properties personnel about repairs and maintenance needs.
- Maintain contracts, maintain office equipment, manages IT related matters, maintain master list of all access codes for church property.
- Administrative - work with Pastor, Church Council, paid staff and volunteer leaders to provide office and administrative support as needed and in a timely manner.
- Bulletins, announcements and certificates
- Create, design and print weekly worship bulletins and announcements.
- Maintain Prayer Chain requests.
- Prepare funeral bulletins.
- Prepare baptism and sponsor certificates.
- Update and design bulletin boards and parish calendar in Fellowship Hall.
- Communications - keep congregation informed on all church-related events and items.
- Create, design, print and distribute monthly newsletters.
- Manager church social media and oversee church website.
- Including promoting events, photos, calendar of events, etc.
- Actively participate in the gathering of new and fresh information to be included in communications.
- Membership records – maintain database of membership information.
- Ensure accuracy and review quarterly.
- Order and distribute giving envelopes annually.
- Parish calendar and facility functions
- Maintain the parish calendar to schedule events, meetings, and services throughout the year.
- Provide administrative support for church events and fundraisers. This includes creating flyers, mailings, coordinating sign-up sheets, advertisements, bulletins, website, social media, etc.
- Provide office support for all weddings, funerals and baptisms.
- Support rites of passage and celebration of life events
- Coordinates building use, policy, and fees (when appropriate) with both parish groups and outside groups.
- Reports and Filing
- Prepare the Parish Administrator's Report and present to Church Council on a monthly basis while attending Church Council meetings.
- Help prepare, organize and print the Annual Report.
- Maintain historical documents such as council reports, etc.
- Organize and maintain important documents for the church in the current filing system.
- Volunteers – recruit and manage volunteers for support.
- Create and maintain the Lector and Acolyte schedules, distributing information at least annually and sending reminders weekly prior to Sunday services.
- Organize Worship Leader schedule and send reminders weekly prior to Sunday services.
- Create, print, collect and communicate clipboard information.
- Coordinate volunteers to assist in putting together bulletins, newsletters, annual reports and giving envelopes (folding, stapling, printing, labeling…).
- Human Resource documentation
- Organize and submit time sheets to Executive Council
- Manage on-boarding and exiting of staff, develop and maintain healthy workplace culture, maintain personnel files, organize and submit time sheets to Executive Council and Treasurer.
- Order and maintain office, Sunday school, custodial, and kitchen supplies and equipment in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Manage office budget as set annually.
- Bulletins, announcements and certificates
Please provide a resume by June 15, 2017 to East Union Lutheran Church Council.
East Union Lutheran Church Council firstname.lastname@example.org